Sunday, May 31, 2009

Hope

I met a stranger on Friday night. Someone who appeared out of nowhere. And did for me something so important, so vital, that even if I never see him again, I will never forget his amazing gift to me. The man gave me hope.
And silly as it might sound, here’s the thing. I love my little Sneaky to heaven and back a kazillion times and more. But little Sneaks, he doesn’t love everyone. My poor little boy is so terrified of people that he ends up terrorizing them instead. It’s a fight or flee instinct, I know that. I respect that. But (the dreaded “but”) as a result, I’m afraid to have people over cause the majority are actually scared of my little Snickers and would rather have an evening without me, than an evening being afraid. Not that there’s anything wrong there. No one wants to feel fear. But it almost got to a point where I didn’t want to call anyone over (except the few good souls who are connected to Sneaky and me). And me being me, it got me thinking, how hard it would be for me to find someone who deserved to be around my dog, someone who wouldn’t threaten him, or make him afraid. I thought it was near impossible. Until Friday night. When a stranger walked in and befriended Snickers in under 2 seconds. I may never see that man again, but he’s given me this massive massive gift, something that he’s so unaware of, which makes it the sweetest present of all. And I know he isn’t alone. I just know now that there are other people out there, soft souls, gentle souls, souls my little Snickers has known in the past, souls that have loved him. And as soon as he finds them in this life, he recognizes them instantly. I forgot about that for a while, while I was busy getting worked up in the here and now about finding friends that Snickers and I can both love, friends who deserve my Sneaky’s love. And the stranger might never be a friend, but he was the opening chapter in a book I had forgotten about. He came in that night to show me it isn’t a lost cause. That there are people out there who’ve never met us before, but are waiting for the right time to enter our lives and to love us the right way. And Snickers won’t be scared because they’ll be gentle with him. He’ll feel them. And day by day, my little boy’s family will keep growing. It’s quite big already, filled with so many people we love to bits. There’s my family ofcourse, who have adopted little Snickers as their grandchild/nephew, there’s LB, T & T, Ollie, Jams, and Gladys. Always Gladys. She’s connected to Snickers in a way only X and me were before. But she came into our lives, and she belonged. And I’m sure there are so many others waiting for us, with us waiting for them. And they’ll come. I know they will. And they’ll be right. They’ll fit. The stranger led the way. An unknown face playing a guest-role in this mega movie. My movie. In which Sneaky remains the eternal star, shining brighter than anyone ever could. The most pure, the most innocent, the most giving, the most loving. Little eyes of trust looking up at me. He’s a tiny little one my Sneaks, but he’s the epitome of love. A giant in every way imaginable.

No comments:

Post a Comment